Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dorothy: Oh....Nevermind.

(August 15th)
Today was a good day. Very light on the traveling. And when I say “very light,” I mean we didn't get any closer to Los Angeles than we previously were. We're still in Haviland. Yet, it was still a good day. I got to see several people at church who haven't seen me since I was an infant. I've probably heard “Oh, you've gotten so big!!” 50 times since I got here. The highlight of the day came when my mom and I had lunch with my grandparents down at Dolly's Diner on Main Street, Haviland. I'm lucky if I see my grandparents even once a year. So, it was wonderful to sit down with them and chat it up. Of course, the food was amazing as well (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls..you know...the home-cooked essentials).

Yum.

Later in the day, I got to spend even more time with my grandparents, this time out on their porch just listening to Grandpa tell stories. My Grandpa is the kind of person who takes 10 minutes to tell a 5 minute story and you won't even mind or notice his lackadaisical narrative style. At 82 years old, he is the epitome of a lifelong farmer and chewing tobacco user and he's an absolute delight to be around. My grandma, also aged 82, is absolutely hilarious, not so much on purpose, but still hilarious. She's curious as a cat and won't take no for an answer.....and she's very forgetful. During our porch chat session, she would interject random observation about what was going on around the neighborhood. I learned the names of everyone living on her street and any suspicious activities they partake in. And you don't even want to know how many times she asked me if I wanted a Pepsi (Pepsi = Grandma's chewing tobacco).

Sporting the crooked hat since 1964.

The other highlight of the day was getting to see my sister, brother-in-law, and my nephews. The last time I saw them was at my high school graduation open house. Nephew #1 is Sam.


The last time I saw him, he couldn't even walk. Now, he's a walking-talking typhoon who has gusts of up to 25 questions per minutes (QPM). Nephew #2 is Ace. Who I've never met before. He's only 20 months old but already seems as though he'll be the polar opposite of Sam.


My brother-in-law is an amazing man of God. Who works his tail off for his family and I respect him tremendously. He's a true-blue cowboy and an ex-bull rider. (Plus he's got one of the coolest mustaches around) I've had the privilege(?) of riding with him as he's herded cattle and what not. It was both a scary and fun experience. My beautiful sister Chateece is a former special needs teacher who now stays at home to raise her boys. I can't comprehend the incredible mixture of joy, frustration, love, and patience she experiences everyday while raising her children; all while keeping a sense of humor. I respect and love her so much. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see my other sisters, Julie and Kandyce.

Welp, now that you've met the fam there really isn't much else to say. Just thanks for all he support and for keeping me and my mother in your prayers. Thank you.


Quote of the day goes to my Grandma Clark: (talking about the age difference between her and Grandpa) “He was older than me for a while but I've caught back up.” (she's older)

PIC DUMP!!!!!

Dolly's Diner

Main Street, Haviland, KS

Ridin' Dirty.










1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Haviland looks exactly like every other Kansas city I've ever been in.

    Nice work on the weblog, Mr. Manager.

    ReplyDelete