Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dorothy: I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. Toto:....Good.

It's all come down to this. After months of anticipation and weeks of preparation, I am finally on the road to Los Angeles. The last few days leading up to this point have been incredibly stressful. On top of my packing for Los Angeles, I've also had to pack for two additional moves. My parents will be moving to a new house while I'm gone and I'll be moving to a house next to school when I come back so I had to have my affairs in order for that as well. And then their was the required last minute hang out time with friends; backyard golf, tennis, ping-pong, video games, we tried to cram it all in at the last minute. But now the clock has struck midnight on my summer and its back to the real world.


I was questioning reality when four o'clock came on the morning of August 14th. It was time to go. My mother and I gave one final glance over our cargo and vessel and set sail through the surprisingly thick morning air. Next thing I know, we're on the other side of Saint Louis and it's my turn to man the helm. So I drove St. Louis to Kansas City, all the while my main goal wasn't to arrive safely at the destination but rather to convert my mother to my favorite bands. Mission Unaccomplished. My mother is a “radio person,” where as I'm a “CD person.” She can scan the radio for what feels like hours. And its always the same contemporary Christian radio. Playing the same songs. All day long. So I was more than happy to share my superior taste in music with her when the time came. According to her: House of Heroes = too loud, Tegan and Sara = not good, Gorillaz = confusion.

How could she not be a fan?

Eventually we made it to Kansas, my home state. I think it's been more than three years since I've been out here to see my dad's side of the family. Almost immediately we were met with one of Kansas' infamous thunderstorms. Lightening was striking everywhere it seemed and being the geek that I am, I had to try to capture it on camera.


Long story short: we made it through and the sun poked back out so we could admire the flat nothingness that is the Kansas countryside.

Color graded? Perhaps.

After about 15 hours of driving we reached our destination of Haviland, KS. Located between Pratt, KS (as seen in season 2 of Prison Break) and Greensburg, KS (as seen on The Weather Channel when it was completely destroyed by a tornado a few years back. I remember golfing at the Greensburg golf course and being able to hit my shots out of water hazards because it was over 100 degrees and hadn't rained for days.) and with a population a little over 400, you could blink and miss the whole town of Haviland. There is a coffee shop and a dinner on Main and that's about it.

Greensburg

On our way to our friend's house where we would be staying the night, we had to travel by dirt/sand road. We stopped in the middle of the road and a ten minute conversation with a passerby (who happened to be my uncle) and not a single soul came down the road during that time. Now that's country.

Overall, we've traveled about 800 miles and still have a way to go. Please keep us in your prayers.

P.S.
I just want to thank everyone who helped make this opportunity possible for me. And all my friends who have supported me...you know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just go ahead and name myself as your biggest fan??? Um...I love Tegan and Sara. Mom doesn't know what's up! PS...they're coming to Bham next week and I'm going!!!! :) Love you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete