Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What an adventure, gang.

What an eventful few days it has been here in Los Angeles. First off, I'd just like to clarify: It turns out that every weekday is trash day here in Park La Brea. Yes, every morning I'm awaken by the sound of hydraulics, scraping metal, and falling debris. Here's the Garbage Truck from Hell:



At the beginning of the video you hear just how loud he can get, he was relatively quiet when I was recording him.....Almost as if he knew...

The lack of sleep hasn't been dampening my fun in Hollywoodland. So fear not. I'm having plenty of fun. I just finished my first big homework assignment: writing a script for a short film (6-8 pages; no more than 10). I, of course, utilized all the real estate that I could and ended up with a 10 page script. Out of the 46 or so students at LAFSC, only 4 will have their scripts turned into shorts. Part of me really wants my script to be picked. But another part of me doesn't. I really like the story that I've constructed and if it gets picked, I'll have to hand it off to my fellow students to work on. I won't have much say in how the script is interpreted by the director. Alas, this is the life of the Hollywood screenwriter and I'd better get use to it.

I found my new favorite place to write this week as well. In the basement of my apartment building, in the laundry room. Nobody is ever down there. It's relatively quiet and it smells nice and I can sit down there and write while I wait for my laundry to dry. And it's pretty creepy down there; which can be inspirational at times. (I say this as if I've been down there more than once.)

Besides writing and laundering, we had several great experiences as a group this past weekend. First off, we all traveled to Hollywood Blvd. and got a tour of the Kodak Theatre.

If you don't know what the Kodak Theatre is it's where the Oscars are held every year. And it was elegant. Super nice. Well, the actual auditorium was under construction (Cirque De Soleil is moving in for 10 years and they'll be performing at next year's Oscars.....You didn't hear that from me.) No pictures were allowed in the theatre which is a shame but I guess when you have so many celebrities packed into one place, security is an issue. Probably the best part of the tour was walking down winner's lane. Its the hallway where stars have to walk through after they win there award. I walked down the same hall as Denzel Washington, Kathryn Bigelow, Danny Boyle, the Coen Bros., Clint Eastwood. It was awesome! Of course, I wasn't carrying a little golden dude (Oscars weigh 8 pounds) in my hand but I still got to take the walk.

Later that evening we trekked up to the Hollywood Bowl (as seen in Yes Man) for a concert by John Williams. If you don't know who John Williams is I guarantee that you've seen at least one of the many movies he's scored. Let's see do any of these ring a bell?

- Jaws
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
- Superman
- Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Home Alone
- Hook
- Jurassic Park
- Schindler's List
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Patriot
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yeah. He's awesome.

Class has been pretty informative the last few days. We've talked about equipment and workflow and crew positions. I applied for crew positions for our big projects this semester. First, I applied for Director of Photography (DP)/Cinematographer. If I get it, I'll be in charge of pretty much everything involving the look of the film. I'll supervise lights, I'll storyboard shots, I'll operate the camera, and I'll probably get to do the final color grading of the film as well. (an aspect of film that has very recently gotten my attention). If I don't get that, then I also have editor to fall back on. I'll be in charge of not only cutting the footage and putting together the final cut but I'll also be the script supervisor on set. That means I'll be in charge of continuity making sure props and actors look consistent from shot to shot. My final option is sound editor. I really have no experience in audio which is why I signed up for it. I would love to learn more. As a sound editor I would be in charge of recording sound on set, editing it, mixing it, ADR, even foley.

Internship update: Since I'm car-less in Los Angeles. I decided not to try to intern at Dreamworks. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that the animation world just isn't right for me. So, I'll be interning at Asylum Entertainment.

http://www.asylument.com/

Videos!







No comments:

Post a Comment